#DemocracyAwakening Three Year Anniversary Social Media Toolkit
April 16 – 18, 2019
Social Media Posts
Hashtag is #DemocracyAwakening
- Today marks three years since #DemocracyAwakening took DC by storm. Our coalition hasn't stopped fighting a system that's rigged against us. [Graphic]
- Three years ago, a diverse movement of thousands of activists and advocates from more than 300 labor, enviro, civil rights, and faith groups marched for #DemocracyAwakening to demand reform on voting rights & voting rights expansion, money out of politics & fair representation.
- Democracy wins like #HR1, Amdt. 4 in Florida, AVR & EDR in the states, Campaign Public Financing, and more never would have happened without #DemocracyAwakening. The democracy movement continues to grow: today’s gains are yesterday’s demands.
- #OTD in 2016: Thousands of activists descended on DC to fight money in politics, to protect and advance voting rights, and demand a hearing & vote on the #SCOTUS vacancy in the Senate. Thousands of democracy leaders and champions arrested for demanding a democracy #ForThePeople
- Three years ago today, thousands of people, representing hundreds of organizations, came together to build a movement that would unite different organizations with different agendas around the issue of democracy reform: the #DemocracyAwakening. Since then, the democracy movement has won countless reforms at the state level, and most recently, the historic passage of #HR1 in the House.
Our work [protecting the environment/fighting for equal rights/building strong unions] requires a strong democracy movement. That’s why we’re proud to celebrate the three year anniversary of the #DemocracyAwakening.
- #OTD in 2016: Thousands of activists descended on DC to fight money in politics, to protect and advance voting rights, and demand a hearing & vote on the #SCOTUS vacancy in the Senate. Hundreds of democracy leaders and champions arrested for demanding a democracy #ForThePeople. It’s been 3 years since the #DemocracyAwakening, and our coalition has never stopped fighting for a strong, accountable democracy. The #DemocracyAwakening was just the beginning.
SUBJ: Celebrating a tipping point for democracy reform
Democracy touches everything we do. Without ensuring every vote is counted, expanded voting rights and protections, clean elections, fair districts, and making sure that vulnerable communities are able to vote and make their voices heard, our issues will struggle at the ballot box and in the halls of government, and our victories will always be at risk.
Three years ago today, [name of organization] participated in a powerful moment: three days of action and solidarity known as the Democracy Awakening. Over thousands of people, representing hundreds of organizations came together from throughout the nation to build a movement that would unite different organizations with different agendas around the issue of democracy reform.
That moment was a tipping point. Since then, we have seen of incredible victories, like the passage of automatic voter registration and Election Day voter registration in New Mexico, redistricting reform in Michigan and voter rights restoration in Florida. We also saw the passage of the historic H.R. 1, the ‘For the People Act,’ in Congress and its introduction in the Senate.
While we’ve undoubtedly seen major progress in our movement toward democracy reform, we’ve also seen setbacks. It’s more important now than ever that we commit ourselves to creating a democracy that works for everyone, not just the privileged and the powerful. Our work [protecting the environment/fighting for equal rights/building strong unions] requires a strong democracy movement.
That is why I am proud to celebrate the three year anniversary of the Democracy Awakening from April 16 -18.
I also want to ask you to commit to fighting for democracy reform as part of your commitment to [issue: environment/civil rights/union solidarity].
Click here to [Insert Asks - examples: HR1 thank supportive Senators].
Shareable Social Graphic:
Democracy Awakening Videos:
- actTV Youtube video summarizing the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=125&v=AUGYF_l7Gd0
- Intro to The People vs. The Politicians with footage of the rally and leaders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kdAmnhG83A
Additional Democracy Awakening Photos: