Our highlighted issues, actions, and events in the democracy movement this week—Please share widely.
DEMOCRACY ON THE
BALLOT: SPECIAL EDITION
Victory in Maryland! Congratulations to DI partners and allies Common Cause Maryland, Maryland PIRG, Maryland PIRG Students, Our Revolution Prince George's Chapter, Progressive Maryland, and Sierra Club Prince George's County; Prince George’s County has become the third county in Maryland to pass small-donor public financing for local candidates, joining Montgomery and Howard counties.
Early voting kicks off in Maryland today. The DI wanted to give you a quick update on the great kickoff event yesterday for the Maryland statewide Election Day Registration proposal (EDR).
- Wendy Fields – Democracy Initiative
- Yaheiry Mora – CASA de Maryland
- Jay Hutchins – Maryland Working Families
- Damon Effingham – Common Cause Maryland
It was a great pleasure to partner with the Fair Election Coalition on this diverse press conference hosted by the Baltimore City NAACP. The coalition's Damon Effingham and Yaheiry Mora are both featured on local NPR coverage; you can listen here.
The Election Protection Coalition urgently needs poll monitors during early voting and on Election Day, and volunteers with legal experience to work the hotline. We're asking all our partners to commit 100 members to volunteer with the Election Protection Coalition by FRIDAY 10/26.
As the effort to suppress votes ramps up around the country to keep entrenched politicians and wealthy interests in the driver's seat of our democracy, we need partners and allies to send out our petition link alongside any actions that you send to your members.
DI PRIORITY CAMPAIGNS NEED YOUR SUPPORT
SECOND CHANCES FLORIDA
- October 27: Day of Action! Returning Citizens Lead Voters to the Polls and Nationwide Call Parties. Join one of more than 100 events nationwide. Here are sample recruitment materials.
- November 2-6: Get Out The Vote For Those Who Can't! Help recruit call party hosts, attendees and virtual phone-bankers. Use this link to recruit attendees and this one to recruit hosts.
VOTERS NOT POLITICIANS & PROMOTE THE VOTE MICHIGAN
DI allies Voters Not Politicians and Promote the Vote MI are requesting that DI partner organizations direct their members to the campaign action pages to support Proposals 2 & 3 in Michigan this November.
We've assembled a collection of helpful resources and tool-kits from across the fight for our democracy for you and your members.
- DI partner NAACP has composed an incredible midterm election messaging guide for Black voters.
- The Appeal's Political Report has created a map of democracy referenda around the country (see below).
- DI partner Common Cause has prepared a report on pro-democracy referenda around the country for the 2018 midterm elections.
- The Union of Concerned Scientists have released an accessible report detailing the links between voting rights and environmental justice.
- The DI has begun compiling a host of resources, actions, and events from partners and priority campaigns, which will be updated as we draw closer to the midterms.
- Democracy is on the Ballot BISC report on ballot initiatives: 20% of voters drop off before voting the whole ballot. Tell your members to VOTE ALL THE WAY. ALL THE WAY DOWN THE BALLOT. It has never mattered more.
Our friends over at Promote the Vote Michigan have released their newest ad, currently running Michigan.
* * *