Our highlighted issues, actions, and events in the democracy movement this week—please share widely.
This week we're introducing the first column of what will be an ongoing series, where we share best practices—reforms at the state and local levels, reforms that work, and reforms that point the way forward for the democracy movement. We're accepting topics & interviews from our partners; contact Getachew Kassa at email@example.com for pitches.
PIVOT TO THE SENATE
- The anticipated date for introduction of the Senate version is March 27th, after the Senate recess.
- The list of senators cosponsoring the bill continues to grow. Aaron Scherb at Common Cause has shared a link to the current list of supporters.
- This week is congressional recess, so now is the time to make calls to Senators who have not yet sponsored the Senate bill.
- TAKE ACTION: This week and next, together with the DFAD coalition, we are driving calls to the Senate. Stand Up America has set up a coalition number to call the Senate: 888-724-8879.
- The coalition has also drafted a sample email to encourage calls.
- Callers will hear a quick recording on the "For the People Act" before being connected to their Senator or the switchboard.
Congratulations to Brennan Center, Common Cause New Mexico, Working Families New Mexico, and all coalition allies for their work to make New Mexico the 17th state to pass Election Day Registration. NM lawmakers also passed automatic voter registration, national popular vote, expanded the campaign public financing program, and other reforms. The bills now head to the governor's desk, and are expected to be signed.
Congratulations to ACLU, Common Cause Delaware, League of Women Voters of Delaware, and all coalition allies who worked to pass this crucial bill to revitalize democracy.
Congratulations to American Promise and the volunteer citizen leaders, activists, and allies that worked to pass HB 504, an incredible opportunity to make New Hampshire the 20th state calling for the historic 28th Amendment. Now, activists turn to the Senate and are driving calls to NH Senators to support the Senate version of the bill.
The DI is excited to welcome a new Communications Strategist, Christopher Honey. Christopher joins the DI on April 1, most recently working as Communications Director for SEIU Local 500 in Gaithersburg, MD. Christopher is a talented communications professional bringing more than 20 years of experience to the DI, ranging from labor, enviro, and political strategy. During those two decades, he has worked for a number of non-profits and advocacy organizations including Sierra Club in Florida, as the California State Political Director for Progressive Majority, and for Revolution Messaging.
While we welcome in new staff, we also must say goodbye to our current Campaigns Director, Myke Bybee. Over the past year, Myke has worked to organize and manage the coalition. He played a key leadership role in supporting our DI partners and local stakeholders to secure important democracy wins in Michigan, Maryland, Florida, and Missouri. In the past several months, Myke has worked with DI partners to strengthen and ultimately support the historic passage of H.R. 1.
Check out this new, informative 5 minute video that tells the stories of white, Black, and Brown working families who have paid the price for Wall Street buying our democracy in the form of rent hikes, toxic mold, and layoffs.
Daily Kos is looking for coalition organizations to partner with some of the Actions they're running—here's the current list:
- Restore The Voting Rights Act
- Contact Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CPC legislations: Support the Debt-Free College Act - launching 3/18
- contact Erin at email@example.com
- Support the Dream and Promise Act
- Contact Ntebo at firstname.lastname@example.org
Feel free to contact Daily Kos with any questions.
DEMOCRACY INITIATIVE—SUMMER INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
The Democracy Initiative, a dynamic network of 71 organizations, representing 45 million members, is seeking a talented grassroots mobilizing intern to join our team. Working under the supervision of the campaign team, the Grassroots mobilizing Intern will assist with message development, organizing campaigns, training, and mobilizing democracy issues to our partners. This is a paid internship.
The Democracy Initiative is also seeking a talented communications intern to join our team. Working under the supervision of the Communications Strategist, the Communications Intern will assist with message development and implementation, social media engagement, and online mobilizations for our diverse issue partners. This is a paid internship.
DI partners are encouraged to recommend qualified, diverse candidates!
* * *