Our highlighted issues and actions from the democracy movement in this moment of crisis—please share widely.
As we head into the general election season, the DI Mobilizing Meetings will be happening weekly to keep you updated on important developments on voting, inoculation against disinformation, rapid response, and more. RSVP here.
Our agenda will cover the following:
- Launch of ‘Know the Rules, Make A Plan, Vote Early’ Video Toolkit It is more important than ever to make a plan to vote this election. Democracy Initiative is encouraging principals of partner groups to commit to making a plan for either safe-in person voting or Vote by Mail—and sending their ballot in early—and to share a short video message to members and supporters urging them to do the same. We will share our partner video toolkit next week with sample talking points, video script and instructions, and sample social media for partners’ engagement.
- #SaveUSPS Fight Update: DI coalition partners are mounting an enormous push this month to get emergency relief for the Post Office and reverse service cuts, as part of the larger effort to save the USPS. We will be joined by Porter McConnell, Campaign Director for DI partner Take On Wall Street, and Debby Szeredy, Executive Vice President for DI partner American Postal Workers Union, to discuss the on the ongoing fight and opportunities for your organizations to plug in.
- Senate Governance Update: Tefere Gebre, Executive Vice-President of AFL-CIO, will brief DI partners about the current Senate Governance landscape and critical opportunities to move forward on filibuster reform in the coming weeks and months. An issue the DI has worked on since 2009, this Senate Governance update comes at a critical time, as we approach the most important election of our lifetimes and the prospect of governing a country riven by Trump is on the horizon. The growing media coverage of the Filibuster reflects a growing support for serious Senate Rules reform, as the recent pieces in The Atlantic and Washington Post demonstrate. As Tefere said in The American Prospects’ latest,
“Democracy functions with 50 plus one, but if a senator just files for filibuster everything is killed. Everything dies. A senator should not have the same ability to block legislation when they have less than a million people in their state, as a senator from California, right? In order to pass the PRO Act, in order to get a Green New Deal and so many other things, we have to have senators who are willing and gutsy enough to actually reform the Senate.”
Mark your calendars now for these upcoming DI Mobilizing Meetings:
- September 28 — Inoculation against disinformation and messaging
- October 7 — Election Protection Briefing and Engagement Opportunities
- October 14 — Voter education to engage members and supporters online
Democracy Initiative Education Fund’s training efforts are continuing full speed with just over 50 days to Election Day. So far, we have hosted trainings for DI partners and allies ACLU of Michigan, A. Philip Randolph Institute, AFL-CIO Texas, Center for Environmental Health, Greenpeace USA, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, March On Harrisburg, NAACP, and UAW Region 9A.
We are offering two trainings for activists this year: a Know the Rules training, with the goal of recruiting poll workers and election protection volunteers, as well as ensuring voters have the information they need to make a plan to vote; and an Inoculation training, which prepares activists to recognize and inoculate against voter suppression and misinformation in their communities.
We are organizing trainings with partners and allies in Michigan. We’re also focusing on the following priority states: FL, GA, MD, MO, NC, NM, PA, VA, and WI.
If your organization is interested in hosting one of these training, please reach out to DI Training and Movement Building Coordinator Brittny Baxter at email@example.com to schedule a training in one of the following slots:
- Sundays: 4:00pm – 7:00pm EST
- Tuesdays 5:00pm – 8:00pm EST
- Thursdays: 11:00am – 1:00pm EST and 5:00pm – 8:00pm EST
- Saturdays: 10:00am – 12:00pm EST
If you are interested organizing a joint campaign for trainings and volunteer engagement, please contact Brittny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* * *